40th ANNUAL COMPETITION FOR SINGERS
in cooperation with Onondaga Community College, Syracuse, NY
Saturday, November 19, 2016
Beginning at 9:30 AM
In the Performing Arts Building at Onondaga Community College, 4585 W Seneca Turnpike, Syracuse, NY 13215
Category A (ages 17-21)
Neva Pilgrim Award - $500
Opera Club of Syracuse Award - $200 | in memory of Bea & Irving Solomon
Category B (ages 22-27)
Helen Boatwright Award - $1,000
Phyllis Bryn-Julson Award - $500
Ernst Bacon Prize - $500 for best performance of an American Song
Provided the singer has an Ernst Bacon song (1898-1990) in their competition repertoire. Visit the Bacon Society web site www.ernstbacon.org, or Spotify and/or request a free copy of Fond Affection (25 Bacon songs) for ideas.
Gayle RossAccompanying Awards (2) - $100 each | to the outstanding accompanist in each category
PHYLLIS BRYN-JULSON, soprano, S.U. alum, opera debut in 1976 in the 1976 premiere of Sessions’ Montezuma, Covent Garden; Peabody faculty, chair of voice from 1987-2007; Grammy nominated, Gramophone Award 1995, Prix du Monde; soloed with orchestras throughout the world; recorded for Decca, New World, Nonesuch, DG, RCA, EMI.
GREGORY SHEPPARD, bass-baritone, former CMM Vocal Comp winner, San Francisco, NYC Opera, Central City, Glimmerglass, Philadelphia, Chattanooga, Orlando, Connecticut, Lake George, Opera Memphis & Dayton opera companies; Orchestra of St. Luke's, Denver, Sioux City, Illinois & New Haven Symphonies, Metropolitan Opera National Finalist, Sullivan Grant, Friday Music Clubs Award, Syracuse Opera Artist of the Year.
Nationally acclaimed baritone, TIMOTHY LeFEBVRE, has wide-ranging experience from the operatic stage to the concert hall; leading roles with Central City, Tri-Cities, Sarasota, Syracuse, Indianapolis opera companies; Chattanooga Symphony and Opera, Opera Delaware, and Opera Theater of Pittsburgh; currently Oberlin Conservatory faculty.
LORRAINE YAROS SULLIVAN, mezzo-soprano, major operatic roles, soloist with orchestras, in oratorios, new music, Kennedy Center, recital tour of Taiwan, founding member Colorado Contemporary Music Consort; Millikin grad, Univ. of N. CO MM, Univ. of Michigan DMA; currently Crane School of Music voice faculty.
This competition is open to singers who are residents of, or studying in, NYS and those states contiguous with NYS.
The application deadline has now passed
Applicants will be contacted via email by November 1 to confirm their participation and given further instructions.
- Contestants must perform within their age group as of November 19, 2016. Proof of age (copy of driver's license or passport) must be presented at registration.
- Former First Place winners of the CMM Competition may not compete again in the same category.
- Repertoire requirements (all must be memorized): 1. An aria from an opera; 2. An aria from an oratorio, mass, requiem, or cantata in the original language; 3. One foreign language art song; 4. One 20th Century American art song composed between 1905-1975; 5. One 20th – 21st Century American art song composed between 1976 - 2016 (date of composition, not publication - please bring a score of the recent American song for the judges). No arrangements allowed. Visit www.songofamerica.net for American song ideas.
- The submitted repertoire may be changed via email but must meet the above requirements. Changes will not be accepted after Friday, November 11.
- Contestants chosen for the finals will sing a selection of their choice and one American art song. Judges will take into consideration the difficulty & sophistication of the American song, so consult your teacher/coach.
- Contestants are encouraged to provide their own accompanist. CMM will provide an accompanist for a $35 fee. If requesting an accompanist you will be notified where to send copies of your music double-sided & notebook ready.
- Contestants will be notified of their audition times via email no later than November 1, 2016.
- CMM reserves the right not to award a prize in a category on recommendation of the judges.
- Complete application online and submit payment of $35 via PayPal; Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Vocal Competition Committee: Janet Brown, Phil Eisenman, Jon English, Laura Enslin, Rebecca Karpoff, Eric Johnson, Jean Loftus, Neva Pilgrim, Gayle Ross, James Shults
If you need further information, please email Janet Brown at email@example.com